Munich and Submarines
The technical museum "Deutsches Museum" in Munich is the last base of the first German submarine of the Imperial German Navy "S.M.S. U 1" and of a Kriegsmarine midget submarine type 127, also known as "Seehund" (= seal).
Presentation in brief
- 1926: Foundation by some WW 1 submariners and Commander (ret.) Karl Neureuther,
- 1959: Re-Foundation after WW 2 by Dr. Wolfgang Pohl and Max Schadhauser,
- Today: An association of former Kriegsmarine and Federal German Navy submariners. Among our members there are also non submariners who are very interested in submarine technics and history.
- The common sense is the fascinating technic of submarines, real comradeship on board as well as the excellent teamwork on board.
- Our umbrella association is the German Submariners Association Verband Deutscher Ubootfahrer e.V. (VDU).
Bavaria and Submarines
- The Bavarians served in all German navies and do it still today,
- Wilhelm Bauer, born in Dillingen on Danube,
buried in Munich (Alter Noerdlicher Friedhof),
constructed the first submersible boat in Germany.
- The technical museum "Deutsches Museum" in Munich is the last base of the first German Imperial submarine "U 1" and of a Kriegsmarine midget submarine type 127.